Apple's next generation iOS operating system is here!
iOS 15 introduces new features for FaceTime calls, tools to reduce distractions, a new notifications experience, added privacy features, complete redesigns for Safari, Weather, and Maps, and much more!
Let's get in to some of key new features!
Notifications in iOS 15 have received a redesign with the introduction of a new Notification Summary feature, an easier way to notify others when you're busy and a feature to help you focus on more important stuff.
With the addition of the new Notification Summary, iOS 15 will now automatically generate a summary of non-time critical notifications you've received and provide it in an easy to browse layout to view at a specified time of the day. iOS 15 will use on-device intelligence to arrange the summary so that the most important notifications show up at the top. Urgent notifications will still be delivered immediately so they won’t show up in the summary, though users can mute if they deem it not urgent.
There is also a change to the Do Not Disturb feature, now when you turn on do not disturb your status will automatically be displayed in the Messages app. If you have this turned on and someone messages you, they'll also now receive a reminder message telling them that you are busy at the moment.
Another new addition for notifications is the introduction of Focus, this allows you to mute your device's notifications based on what you're doing. For example, if you're at work and have the work profile for Focus turned on, you will only receive work related notifications. In addition to this you will also only see work related widgets on your home screen to keep those distractions away.
Safari has seen some big changes with a completely new design added. This design is focused on making controls easier to reach with one hand and to give more focus to the webpage content.
The top search bar has now been moved to the bottom of the screen and has been changed to a compact tab bar allowing for users to easily swipe between tabs. If this new design isn't to your liking, you can change back to the single tab bar at the top of the screen in the safari settings.
Tab groups have also been introduced and allow users to save tabs and easily access them across multiple devices.
Another big new change with iOS 15 is the Maps app, this app now offers a new 3D view in cities with significantly enhanced details, showing buildings, pedestrian crosswalks, bike lanes, and more!
There has also been improvements to the Driving Experience when using Maps with the new city-driving experience with added road details and improved Transit features, such as pinned favourite lines, notifications to disembark, and AR walking directions.
That isn't all that was added, iOS 15 sees a host of new additions including the introduction of Voice Isolation and Spatial Audio to FaceTime, SharePlay, updates to Memories in the Photo App, Live Text and so much more! The full release notes from Apple are shown below which includes every single feature added by Apple in their latest update!
Full Update Notes
• Spatial audio makes people’s voices sound like they’re coming from the direction in which they’re positioned on the screen on Group FaceTime calls (iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR and later)
• Voice Isolation blocks background noises so your voice is crystal clear (iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR and later)
• Wide Spectrum brings all background noises into your call (iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR and later)
• Portrait mode blurs your background and puts the focus on you (iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR and later)
• Grid view displays up to six people at a time in Group FaceTime calls in the same-size tiles and highlights the current speaker
• FaceTime links allow you to invite your friends into a FaceTime call; even friends on Android or Windows devices can join from their browser
Messages and Memoji
•Shared with You shows content sent to you by friends in Messages conversations in a new section in Photos, Safari, Apple News, Apple Music, Apple Podcasts or the Apple TV app
•Pinned content elevates the shared content you choose and makes it more prominent in Shared with You, Messages search and the Details view of the conversation
•Multiple photos sent in Messages are displayed as a glanceable collage or a swipeable stack
•Notifications options for unknown senders, transactions and promotions for India
•Over 40 Memoji outfit choices and up to three different colours to customise your Memoji stickers’ clothing and headwear
• Focus lets you automatically filter notifications based on what you’re currently doing, such as fitness, sleep, gaming, reading, driving, work or personal time
• Focus uses on-device intelligence during set-up to suggest apps and people you want to allow notifications from in a Focus
• Home Screen pages can be customised to match your apps and widgets to a specific Focus
• Contextual suggestions intelligently suggest a Focus based on your context, using signals like location or time of day
• Status appears to your contacts in Messages conversations, indicating your notifications are silenced with Focus
• A new look displays contact photos for people and larger icons for apps
• Notification summary delivers a helpful collection of your notifications daily, based on a schedule you set
• Notifications can be muted from any app or messaging thread for the next hour or for the day
• Detailed city maps display elevation, trees, buildings, landmarks, crossings and turn lanes, and 3D views to navigate complex interchanges, and more in San Francisco Bay Area, Los Angeles, New York and London, with more cities coming in the future (iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR and later)
• New driving features include a new map that highlights details like traffic and incidents, and a route planner that lets you view your upcoming journey by choosing a future departure or arrival time
• Immersive walking directions show step-by-step directions in augmented reality (iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR and later)
• Updated public transport experience provides one-tap access to departures near you, makes it easy to see and interact with your route using one hand, and notifies you when approaching your stop
• Interactive 3D globe shows enhanced details for mountain ranges, deserts, forests, oceans and more (iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR and later)
• Redesigned place cards make it easy to learn about and interact with places, and a new home for Guides editorially curates the best recommendations for places you’ll love
• Bottom tab bar is easier to reach and helps you move between tabs by swiping left or right
• Tab Groups help you save and organise your tabs and easily access them between devices
• Tab overview grid view displays your open tabs
• Start page can be customised with a background image and new sections like Privacy Report, Siri Suggestions and Shared With You
• Web extensions on iOS help you personalise your browsing and can be downloaded through the App Store
• Voice search lets you search the web using your voice
• Home keys let you tap to unlock a supported home or flat door lock (iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR and later)
• Hotel keys allow you to tap to unlock your room at participating hotels
• Office keys allow you to tap to unlock your office doors for participating corporate offices
• Car keys with Ultra Wideband help you unlock, lock and start your supported car without having to take your iPhone out of your bag or pocket (iPhone 11 and iPhone 12 models)
• Remote keyless entry functions on your car keys allow you to lock, unlock, beep your horn, preheat your car or open your boot on your supported vehicle
• Live Text makes text interactive in your photos so you can copy and paste, look up and translate in Photos, Screenshot, Quick Look, Safari and live previews with Camera (iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR and later)
• Data detectors for Live Text recognise phone numbers, email addresses, dates, street addresses and more in photos so you can take action on them
• Live Text is available from the keyboard, letting you insert text directly from the camera viewfinder into any text field
• Rich results brings together all the information you’re looking for on contacts, actors, musicians, movies and TV shows
• Photos can be searched from your photo library by locations, people, scenes, text in the photos or other things in the photos, like a dog or a car
• Web image search allows you to search for images of people, animals, monuments and more
• New look for Memories with a new interactive interface, animated cards with smart, adaptive titles, new animation and transition styles, and multiple image collages
• Apple Music can be added to your Memories for Apple Music subscribers, and personalised song suggestions combine expert recommendations with your music tastes and what’s in your photos and videos
• Memory mixes let you set the mood by selecting from different songs and a Memory look to match
• New memory types include additional international holidays, child-focused memories, trends over time and improved pet memories
• Info pane now displays rich information about the photo, like which camera and lens, shutter speed, file size and more
• Sharing lets you choose health data, alerts and trends to share with people who are important to you or those who are caring for you
• Trends lets you see how a given health metric is progressing over time and can notify you when a new trend has been detected
• Walking Steadiness is a new metric that can assess your risk of falling and notify you if your walking steadiness is low (iPhone 8 and later)
• Verifiable health records enable you to download and store verifiable versions of COVID-19 vaccines and lab results
• Lab results can now be pinned for quick access and include highlights that show how your lab results have changed over time
• A new design shows the most important weather information for that location and includes new maps modules
• Weather maps can be viewed in full screen and show precipitation, temperature and air quality in supported countries
• Next-hour precipitation notifications alert you when rain or snow is about to start or stop in Ireland, the UK and the US
• New animated backgrounds more accurately represent the sun position, clouds and precipitation (iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR and later)
• On-device processing means audio of your requests does not leave your device by default and Siri is able to process many requests while offline (iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR and later)
• Share items with Siri lets you send onscreen items like photos, web pages and Maps locations to any of your contacts
• Onscreen context can be used by Siri to refer to contacts onscreen to send them a message or make a call
• On-device personalisation allows Siri speech recognition and understanding to improve privately (iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR and later)
• Mail Privacy Protection protects your privacy by preventing email senders from learning about your Mail activity, your IP address or whether you've opened their email
• Safari Intelligent Tracking Prevention now also prevents known trackers from profiling you using your IP address
• iCloud+ is a cloud subscription service that gives you premium features and additional iCloud storage
• iCloud Private Relay (beta) sends your requests through two separate internet relays and encrypts the internet traffic leaving your device so you can browse Safari in a more secure and private way
• Hide My Email lets you create unique, random email addresses that forward to your personal inbox so you can send and receive email without having to share your real email address
• HomeKit Secure Video supports connecting more security cameras without using your iCloud storage quota
• Custom email domain personalises your iCloud Mail address and allows you to invite family members to use the same domain
• Image exploration with VoiceOver allows you to get even more details about people and objects, and learn about text and table data in photos
• VoiceOver image descriptions in Markup let you add your own image descriptions that can be read by VoiceOver
• Per-app settings allow you to customise display and text size settings only for the apps you want
• Background sounds play balanced, bright or dark noise, or ocean, rain and stream sounds continuously in the background to mask unwanted environmental or external noise
• Sound actions for Switch Control enable you to control your iPhone with simple mouth sounds
• Audiograms can be imported in Settings so you can customise Headphone Accommodations based on your hearing test results
• New Voice Control languages include Mandarin Chinese (China mainland), Cantonese (Hong Kong), French (France) and German (Germany)
• Memoji options including a cochlear implant, oxygen tubes and a soft helmet
This release also includes other features and improvements:
• Tags in Notes and Reminders help you quickly categorise your items to make them easy to find, and you can use custom Smart Folders and Smart Lists to automatically collect your notes and reminders based on rules you can define
• Mentions in Notes enable you to notify others of important updates in shared notes, and an all-new Activity view displays all the recent changes in a note in a single list
• Spatial audio with dynamic head tracking in Apple Music brings an even more immersive experience to Dolby Atmos music with AirPods Pro and AirPods Max
System-wide translation lets you select text throughout the system and translate it with a tap, even in photos
• New widgets include Find My, Contacts, App Store, Sleep, Game Center and Mail
• Cross-app drag-and-drop function lets you pick up images, documents and files from one app to another
• Keyboard magnification loupe magnifies the text when moving the cursor
• Apple ID Account Recovery Contacts lets you choose one or more people you trust to help you reset your password and regain access to your account
• Temporary iCloud storage grants you as much iCloud storage as you need to create a temporary backup of your data, free of charge, for up to three weeks when you buy a new device
• Find My separation alerts notify you if you leave a supported device or item behind and Find My will give you directions to your item
• Game highlights of up to the last 15 seconds of gameplay can be saved using gaming controllers like the Xbox Series X|S Wireless Controller or Sony PS5 DualSense™ Wireless Controller
• App Store in-app events help you discover timely events within apps and games such as a game competition, a new movie premiere or a live-streamed experience
• UPI QR codes can now be scanned using the Camera app to enable UPI payment apps in India
This release includes even more features and improvements. For more information, please visit this website: https://www.apple.com/uk/ios/ios-15/features/
For information on the security content of Apple software updates, please visit this website: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201222